Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New Perspective


I have to admit that despite being a boy, I am not the worlds biggest sports nut.  I used to have my favorite football team and religiously follow college basketball but life happened and some of that passion faded away.

Last weekend I had one of my first real tasks in my new office, and of course it would have to be covering a football game.  At first I was really excited because I would have field level and press box access, but I learned a few lessons from my first attempt at covering college sports.

First, I learned that I need to pay attention to the gear I am brining to the field.  I grabbed a camera and handful of lenses from work only to find out later at the game that the zoom lens I grabbed had a minor issue which caused me grief all night long.

Second, I learned that the sports writing I was used to doing was nothing compared to what I was supposed to do that evening.  To make matters worse, there wasn't a review process prior to filing the story, so I apologize to anyone who accidentally read it.

All in all it was a lot of fun and I look forward to the next game against BYU where I will be shooting and not writing.  I am excited about improving on both my writing and sports coverage during my stay here at the Academy.

No comments: