Friday, March 7, 2008

Little Brother


We grew up in a little house, in a little town, in the middle of nowhere. Close in age, close in tastes, close in our bunk beds. We left that house, we left that town, we left that life. Age established differences, friends established differences, life established differences. We grew apart, we stayed together, we were blood.

I remember the day I said goodbye, he still seemed so young. I started life on my own and left him, alone. For the better, I'm sure, I wasn't a role model. I thought about him often. He seemed so focused, so committed. Why couldn't I be like that? I looked up to him.

We stayed in touch, we talked infrequently, we were never apart. Separated by miles, separated in our choices, separated by lifestyles. We visited, we laughed, we loved.

One day, I lost my way in life. I remember talking to him on the phone, he was giving me advice. It was supposed to be the other way around. I listened, I learned, I grew.

Life brought us back together, life had taken its toll, life went on. He had grown, he was wise, he was always there. We have children, we have wives, we have each other.

For years I have watched him mature, he had become a man. I was sometimes envious, he has accomplished so much. I was finally there when he received his doctorate, what an accomplishment. I watched him walk away.

He held his head high, he held his wife close, he had done it. There goes another chapter, there goes my friend...there goes my little brother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - wow - sat here and read this - to be honest I needed a kleenex. I can't think of a more special gift that I could receive than comments like that from my big brother.

I've always looked up to you and the man you've become, the family you lead, and the life you live all serve as an example and an encouragement to me.

Love ya bro.

DD

Nannette said...

Ok - can I just say there has not been a more pecious moment to me than reading this, what more could a mom ask for! Young mothers, through all those years of struggling raising kids let this be your view of the end of the rainbow - it could not be any better than this!

I love you boys and I could not be any more proud of both of you, you choose different paths, different lives, your accomplishments are different, equally impressive - you both love what you are doing and are striving in all ways not only to do "your thing" well, but in such a way to honor the Lord. You are both men of God, the best husbands and dads, but to me you are just 2 little boys that grew into the men I knew would be, men of integrity, men of God - I love you - Mom